Monday, May 28, 2012

Transitioning into a raw vegan diet:)


I have been reading about raw vegan diets and I believe it is the way to go. I am not eating 100% raw but I am eating more raw food than I have ever eaten. It is definitely a process and I am only at the beginning stages.

What is raw food?

We call food raw if it is uncooked: never heated about 118 degrees F. Raw food should preferably be organic and unprocessed.

Why go raw?

1.       You’ll have more energy.

2.       You’ll have much less waste than the average household.

3.       Heating your food above 115 degrees F kills enzymes. Enzymes help you digest your food.

4.       Heating your food above 115 degrees F makes food acidic. Eating acidifying food makes your body a welcome feeding ground for disease.

5.       Heating your food above 115 degrees F destroys most vitamins.

6.       When your diet consists of more than 75% raw, you will have more beautiful skin, improved immune system, up to 3 hours less sleep, lose weight, have clarity of mind and better memory, and can prevent or even reverse diabetes.

How I’m leaning into the diet:

1.       Cut out sugar. I use dates, raisins, maple syrup, agave nectar, and stevia for sweetner.

2.       I no longer use flour.

3.       I use my food processor a lot. I make ice cream out of frozen fruits, fruit and nut bars, and hummus.

4.       I don’t use the skillet as often. I make more stuff using raw ingredients.

5.       When I go shopping I mainly stick to the produce and bulk sections.

6.       I only use coconut and olive oil.

7.       I make a lot more smoothies.

8.       Take salt out of your diet.

9.       I am limiting my intake of alcohol and other beverages besides water.

Tips on transitioning to raw vegan:

1.       Eat fruits and vegetables you like.

2.       Keep recipes simple.

3.       Find a favorite transition snack. It doesn’t have to be 100% raw. For example your transition snack could be pita and guacamole.

4.       Look for sales.

5.       Plan your meals.

6.       Eat only fruit for breakfast.

7.       Eat only two cooked meals a week.

8.       Go slow. Don’t go 100% raw overnight. Your body needs time to adjust.

What raw foodists eat:

1.       Raw fruits (apples, bananas, oranges, lemons, seasonal fruits, dates)

2.       Raw vegetables (broccoli, celery, carrots, spinach, avocado, cabbage, cucumber, tomatoes, seasonal veggies)

3.       Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, etc.)

4.       Nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc.)

5.       Herbs (garlic, ginger, onions, parsley, basil)

6.       Dried Fruit (raisins, pineapple, apples, etc.)

7.       Condiments (apple cider vinegar, salsa, pesto, mustard)

8.       Oils (Extra virgin coconut oil/olive oil)

9.       Spices (raw vanilla beans, cinnamon, curry, etc.)

10.   Sweeteners (agave nectar, stevia)

11.   Other (quinoa, sprouted bread, carob powder)

Raw food kitchen tools:

1.       Blender

2.       Food processor

3.       Juicer

4.       Dehydrator

5.       Water purifier

6.       Sprouter


No comments:

Post a Comment